Island Ugljan self guided bike tour is ideal for all those looking for a day trip from Zadar. The island is distanced just a short ferry ride. You will cycle along picturesque coast, discover beautiful beaches, visit fishing villages with traditional stone houses and climb to medieval fortress overlooking entire Zadar archipelago.
Availability: every day, entire year
Availability schedule is flexible and it can be adjusted according your requirements, all you need is to contact us in advance.
- enjoy picturesque bike ride through so called “Green island” full of Mediterranean vegetation and beautiful coves with sandy beaches far from city noise
- climb up the hill and visit St. Michael’s fortress to capture the best panoramic view of the island, city of Zadar and Velebit mountain
- discover attractive seaside villages with long fishing tradition, stone houses and delicious Dalmatian cuisine
PLAN OF THE TOUR:
Start time: 9:00
End time: 18:00
Duration: 9,5 hours
Island Ugljan self guided bike tour starts in Zadar old town, in the agency office where you will pick up the bike and route map. Our friendly representative will provide you with detailed instructions on how to get to the island and suggested cycling route.
You will follow the map and cycle along sea promenade towards Zadar car ferry port called Gaženica. From there you will take a 25-min ride to get to the island of Ugljan. During short ferry ride you will enjoy magnificent views of the city of Zadar and the island.
Ugljan is the island in Zadar archipelago that is the closest to the mainland. First you will visit Preko, as it is a ferry port and administrative center of the island. It was proclaimed “Best hidden gem in Europe” by European Best Destinations travel website in 2016.
You will follow the road to get to the center of village where you can stop in one of many restaurants to have a lunch. In these restaurants you can eat typical Croatian specialties as well as international dishes.
Later you will follow the bike trail and cycle along the coast to see attractive islet situated only 80 m from Preko, with Franciscan monastery dating from 15th century. You will cycle up hill to get to St. Michael’s fortress, built on a top of a hill (265 m) in 13th century by Venetians as a strategic lookout from which you will be able to capture breathtaking view of nearby islands, city of Zadar and Velebit mountain.
After that you will follow asphalted and macadam road towards Kali. It is seaside village with long fishing tradition so you will enjoy seeing moored fishing boats and piles of fishing nets.
You will continue cycling through pine woods along many beautiful coves, to get to another village called Kukljica. It is famous for its beautiful sandy beaches. You can rest there in a shade of a pine trees or during summer take a swim in one of many beautiful beaches.
After that you will cycle back to Preko and take a ferry to return to Zadar.
PRICE: 290,00 HRK or 39,00 EUR per person
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- bike (MTB ili trekking), safety hamlet and bike lock
- pannier bags
- bike route map (Zadar and Ugljan island)
- return car ferry ticket (Zadar/Gaženica – Preko – Zadar/Gaženica) for one passenger and a bike
- bike kit and spare tubes
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- qualified bike guide (additional cost)
- electric city or trekking bike (additional cost: 130,00 HRK or 18,00 EUR per person)
- meal and beverages (15% discount in Jardin restaurant, Preko)
Tour length: 35 km
Elevation gain: 610 m
DIFFICULTY: moderate physically demanding
RECOMMENDED AGE: minimum age to ride a bike is 7 years
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU: sports shoes (not Flip-flops), comfortable clothes, water, hat and sun cream during summer